If you are not going to use the minister from your congregation, you will need to decide which professional officiant you are most comfortable with and reflects your personal beliefs and viewpoints. This can feel overwhelming. There is so much more to consider than price point alone. Here are some things you will want to consider as you select your officiant.
Review their website to be sure their services match what you are looking for in an officiant. Check out the wedding websites such as Wedding Wire, The Knot and others to see what their reviews there reflect. Be sure that photos on their website, Facebook page or on their “storefronts” are of weddings you could imagine yourself in. Here are some additional questions, in no particular order, to consider in making this decision. Many of these questions can be answered by visiting their website, Facebook Page and their storefronts on Wedding Wire or the Knot, others you will have to ask during a phone call or in person meeting.
- Do you do other services besides weddings, if so what are they?
- Are you a preferred vendor at any of the local venues?
- What professional organizations are you a member of?
- Are you recommended by other vendors, such as caterers, planners, photographers?
- How long have you been performing weddings?
- How many wedding ceremonies will you do on a given day?
- Will you perform ceremonies for couples of different faiths?
- What is your position on Marriage Equality?
- Can couples write their own vows?
- Do you have readings you recommend?
- May we pick our own readings?
- Are other people allowed to participate in the ceremony—such as parents, friends, etc. doing readings or prayers?
- What cultural traditions are you comfortable including in a ceremony?
- Will you marry couples who live together?
- What if one of us has children from a previous relationship?
- What if we have children together but have never been married?
- Will you marry us if one or both partners are divorced?
- Can we have another faith leader work with you?
- Are children allowed to participate in the wedding?
- Can we do a ceremony to honor the two families coming together?
- How do you stay informed on current trends in weddings?
- How much edit power do we have over our ceremony?
- Will we see the completed ceremony prior to it being presented?
- Do you participate in the rehearsal?
- How much guidance do we receive in the planning process, such as writing our vows, how to get a marriage license, information on name changes etc.?
- What are your payment policies?
The answers to these questions will help you determine if this professional is a good fit for you and your vision for your wedding day. It is important to remember that you do get what you pay for! It is our hope that every couple finds a professional officiant that is a great match and provides them with the ceremony they will remember for the rest of their lives! Contact us to learn how we can make this happen for you.